August 2013

Just so you know...

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to my, er I mean "our' blog. When the mood hits me I write about something. I don't mean to offend anyone... certainly not my goal. I just want people to learn about us and get to know us better. We like comments, so feel free to post some!



Monday, November 4, 2013

November 4, 2012

Exactly one year ago today was when I first talked to A and A. I can hardly believe it's been a year! I privately blogged about our experience from first phone call until Corbin's birth. Here is my entry from one year ago:

 Sunday November 4th

Today, I was watching The Vow. I normally don't watch movies like that, but hey why not? Our adoption line started ringing, and I was crying. Of course it would! I seriously tried to get myself together, but failed miserably. I thought well, it's probably a wrong number, which is what we seem to get most of on that number. But someone left a voicemail. I decided to go ahead and finish watching the movie and then I would check the VM. It was not a wrong number! It was a couple, A and A, that are interested in meeting us. So I returned the call. Voicemail. Well crap. I was thinking, you know they probably just changed their minds. But they called back! They asked if we could come meet them. TOMORROW. Except that Nick is out of town, so that leaves ME. EEK! They both sound sweet, young. We really didn't talk a whole, whole lot, but I'm just excited they like us and want to meet us! How awesome is that!? A is 25 weeks pregnant with a little boy. A boy?! Honestly, I never think much about a little boy. Not that we don't want a boy(we've always secretly wanted a girl and a boy), I've just always believed our little man is in heaven and we would never have one on earth.

 --------
During our wait, I had a lot of time to research.  One of the things I researched was what questions to ask when a prospective birth family called. I had actually typed up a bunch of questions on the computer and had a couple of printouts laying around the house (after all you never know when you would get a call!). I used one of these printouts each time we had a call. I would basically look at the list of questions and then ask, and write down the answers. It seems silly to me now. But you know what? With A and A, I didn't even THINK about "the list." Ha, I was just asking what felt natural to me. Later, after we got off the phone, I did write down the things I could remember so I could relay them to Nick. A's mom told me later, that after I didn't answer their phone call, they said, "What if they aren't looking to adopt any more?" It seems so unreal to me, on different sides of the adoption spectrum, and the both of us had that fear of someone changing their mind.

No comments: