So here I was sitting with two very obvious pregnant women. (Normally I wouldn't be in this type of setting, but I was trying to mingle) Another lady walks up and sits down as well. It goes something like this:
Lady says to 1st woman: It's nice to meet you! How far along are you?
1st woman answers
Lady: Is this your first child?
1st woman answers
Lady: Oh, that's wonderful, what a blessing. Is it a boy or girl?
1st woman anwers
Lady to ME: "Do you only have one child?"
Me: Yes
Lady to Me: Are you going to have more?
Me: Well, umm my husband and I are in the process of adopting.
Lady to Me: Oh, I hear that takes a long time."
Me: Yes it can.
Lady to Me: Why are you adopting?
Me: I would suppose the same reason these women are pregnant....
Lady to Me: Well, good luck to you."
Lady to 2nd woman: "Is this your first pregnancy?"
2nd woman answers, Lady continues asking Woman 1&2 questions regarding pregnancy and children and not another word to me.
Needless to say I was ready to burst into tears....
First off, I find it offensive when people ask me if I'm going to have more children. Really, do you need to tell me that adoption can take a long time? Do you really think that I don't know this!? And the 2nd question completely BLEW me away... a person would never ask a pregnant woman why she was pregnant... This is not the first time (nor will it be the last I'm sure) that I've heard hurtful comments. I've realized that the statement "Good luck" is a dismissing of the topic. There was/is clearly a different vibe I get from others when adoption is mentioned. Almost like I can't be included in their talk because I'm expanding my family differently. People (women mostly) tend to get all excited when a pregnant woman is around, but yet they can't show me the same amount of excitement. I know we are becoming a family in a different way, but it's just as exciting for us. I don't understand why others can't see that as well. And that's my gripe today! I promise I won't gripe anymore! (for awhile!)
I decided to start this blog so family and friends can keep up with us (and possibly get to know us better). Although technology is so far advanced, it seems difficult to keep in touch with each and every person. Even so, we think of you often. We are starting a new path in our lives and would very much like to share it with those we love. I'll give updates, throw some tidbits of adoption info out there, and tell some of my thoughts and feelings as we go along!
August 2013
Just so you know...
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to my, er I mean "our' blog. When the mood hits me I write about something. I don't mean to offend anyone... certainly not my goal. I just want people to learn about us and get to know us better. We like comments, so feel free to post some!
2 comments:
I think people are uncomfortable because they just don't know what to say. That said, their insensitivity and blatent rudeness is still absolutely not okay! Sorry :(
Even after the child is born, you'll probably be hearing stupid comments for a long time. Every once in the while someone will surprise you with something heartwarming, but you'll still get a lot of "where's the real mother?" and "are you the baby sitter?". Get the snappy comebacks ready now, and enjoy using them later!
Post a Comment